Tuesday 12 February 2013

Is It Just Me: That Really Dislikes Shows Like Wanted Down Under?

Bit of an unusual Is It Just Me today, but this had to be put to the general consensus.

Wanted Down Under- your thoughts please?

I hate that show.



It's a strong reaction I grant you reader, but it just irritates me on so many levels. It's either watch this show or Jeremy Kyle, and frankly I'd rather stick my head in a box of Piranhas than watch Jezza and the parade of Chavs on ITV.

I have no problem with Brits going off to Australia, New Zealand or anywhere else in the world. Sadly, our country doesn't look after its home grown talent, its Builders, Teachers and medical staff. Many are left either being undercut by those less skilled due to a lack of proper registration for tradesmen and women, or are made to feel unwanted and undervalued in their roles. 

If I had the cash, I'd be off tomorrow!

No, what I really do not like is the tactics this show uses.

Firstly, the family are shown three properties. .here are the type which everyone dreams of with a private pool, masses of rooms and space- think a Ramsey Street home and you're there. They also show something more mid ranged, and then an over priced dump too.

The thing is, showing the families the best house first- its hardly fair to get their hopes up. I know most of us dream of a big house with flash extras whatever country we happen to reside in. Most are more sensible though and realise that, whilst that is a dream, its not possible, and you have to be realistic.To start small and work your way up. So, why show them, during a period of time when they are trying to make a massive decision on being in their home country or abroad, something completely unrealistic.

The worst bit though is the downright emotional blackmail that they use from friends and family back home.

Personally, if I was to go off to start a new life somewhere I knew would be better across all counts for my family and myself, I'd go regardless. 

However, I'm not even slightly close to my family.

But the show has lots of video interviews with every single member of the couple's family and friendship group they can possibly wheel out. It ends up being more tear streaked than an episode of Call the Midwife. On today's show, you had young children looking into the camera, sobbing their hearts out and begging "pleas don't go" before having to be cuddled by their parent. What on earth?

Its an emotional time for a family to lose members to another country. However I wouldn't up the pity party by allowing young children to be used on TV in this way. 

My bro in law and his family emigrated to Australia at the end of last year. Did we all beg him not to? Cry on screen? Use the children as emotional currency? Hell no. 

We were well chuffed for him. He's happy as Larry over there. We've been updated via Facebook of the family trips to the tennis, to the beach and on the progress of finding work and a house. Good on them I say!

Overall, the programme could really do good and show Brits sick of getting a raw deal in their own home country how good they could have it out there. Get rid of the unrealistic home ideas,the pity videos, and actually help set them up with jobs, incomes and schools.

Otherwise this is one show I will skip to go on Twitter.....

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Commenting!