Tuesday 6 August 2013

Is It Just Me: Who Thinks the Media Should Butt Out of Relationships?

Have to admit, I love a good gossip story in the news and magazines just like the next person. I read Heat every week and have done since it started, although I do also now read classier titles too (I would not own any decent nail polish if it wasn't for Cosmo).

The thing is, I'm not really feeling the "spectator sport" attitude towards couples breaking up or marriages failing- especially when there are children involved.



Recent case of "spectator sport" media behaviour- Denise Van Outen and Lee Mead. Now, I'm not saying that certain publications caused the split, but for weeks, if not months, there was a constant stream of pointless speculation almost willing them to own up to their split. Cries of Denise being out without Lee, or seen looking "emotional" (what does that even mean? You take a photo at the right time and anyone could look miserable)- it just leaves you feeling grubby, akin to someone stalking the celeb they like.

Yes, they have announced a split. What went on is anyone's guess, but it was never going to help the situation having the press almost take bets on when, not if, they'd break up. Now they're speculating on their reconciliation after a "friend" of the couple suggested Denise misses her estranged other half. 

There's another phenomenon I hate- the "friend" who just can't wait to spill gossip and no doubt get paid for it. Half the time it makes me disgusted that someone who does that could even suggest calling themselves a friend. I would never do that to a mate, you just don't right? The other half the time I think it's made up bumpf in a newsroom by a junior scribe who may have once been at an event at the same time as their supposed "friend". 

Of course, now the press are all smug that they foresaw the split between Denise and Lee, they've moved onto Kym Marsh and Jamie Lomas. There has been no official statement that they are separated, and both have been pictured with their wedding rings firmly intact. 

Not that that stops the likes of the Daily Mail shouting it from the rooftops that they must have split up as they are never together.

Er, DM, ever thought it may be because a few months back Jamie started to film with Eastenders, which is filmed in London. And Kym is on Corrie, filmed in Manchester. They work long hours, so what if they aren't constantly indulging in PDAs every five minutes?

Both of these couples have kids too, so there is a wider issue at stake than adults doing what adults do, going through hard times when you may just want to cause a bodily injury to each other or you start wondering if the lines of that Space and Catatonia song The Ballad of Tom Jones could be achieved. 

Elder and I have been together for yonks, but if we were famous they'd have a field day. Neither of us go to the same places unless you count Asda or Aldi. I can just imagine the feelings of joy Elder would feel if I dragged him to Britmums or a blogging event. Likewise, I'd rather use Tesco Value shampoo than sit in on one of his fogey raves. 

Couples do have differing interests, different friends- yes, we have some in common but actually I can think of a few of Elder's I'm happy he sees outside the house and he thinks my blogging mates are all women with issues. 

Please, media people, if you can't find something to write about, don't. There are plenty of better subjects in the world than breaking up and then trying to force back together celebs.

To misquote Floyd- Hey! DM! Leave those peeps alone.

2 comments:

  1. I agree, I think it ruins people and they should leave well alone! There would be more people with smiley faces :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read a UK gossip mag in a while so I don't know who some of the people are (I know who Denise and Kym are, but not the partners!) but yes - it can get uncomfortable.

    The most uncomfortable thing I've seen recently was the Nigella/Saatchi thing - the fact that a photographer sat there snapping away clearly totting up the money they'd make from those photos while a woman is sitting there looking desperate with her husbands hands around her neck :/

    That being said - sometimes I can't help but want to know what goes on behind closed doors, When the Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston thing happened I have to admit - I was intrigued!

    Hayley

    Sparkles & Stretchmarks

    xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Commenting!